RSS Feed

The big weekend

Posted on

Even after three months in Australia I still feel like I’m on a long holiday. Many people tend to fall into a living feeling and get comfortable after a length of time but that hasn’t happened to me yet. Anyway I find out my favourite artist is playing in Melbourne, just a short flight across the Bass Strait from Tasmania. Flights are cheap compared to most places, the concert ticket not so cheap but I decided it was worth it to see him sing for the first time. Especially as opposed to where he’d be playing in London in a massive arena and I’d end up near the back and he’d look like an ant on stage here I got fourth row tickets in a stunning little theatre. So I decided the expense was more than worth it and I was right!

Due to flight times I had less than 48 hours in Melbourne so booked the nearest hostel to the theatre despite rubbish reviews. I always check reviews before I book hostels over here as if I can’t relax somewhat in a place it tends to skew my opinion of the area a little too. Anyway what a mistake! I was told reception was 24 hours so no rush as my flight landed at 10.30pm. I leave the airport and have to get on a bus into the city then find the tram stop to my destination. Luckily I only packed an overnight back. I find Melbourne trams weirdly confusing and I end up getting on the right tram but in the wrong direction, which I realise about fifteen minutes into the journey. I hop off and cross to the other side to head in the right direction. Getting on the tram there’s a big argument between a clearly very drunk lady and her partner. Something that is incredibly common in Melbourne, especially in St Kilda which sadly is where I was headed. The journey gives me time to think about how I already miss being in Tasmania with its friendly, helpful people and its stunning scenery and general feel good vibes. Culture shock in reverse! Being from a big city you would think I’d get a shock in the wilderness but no I love it and it’s a nightmare having to go back to a big city for me.

Anyway, I finally arrive at midnight and the doors locked so I have to call someone to let me in. 24 hour reception my ass! They seemed clueless as to my arrival despite me having phoned them and told them I’d be late. I get into the room and someone has their stuff all over my bed and another person has stolen my pillow which I had to retrieve. The one girl who was asleep was grunting at me for making noise which actually made me laugh out loud as there was a club right above our heads and constant awful music and people stomping on the floor in high heels until 3am. I’m sorry is my shuffling around the room disturbing your sleep?!? I can’t walk in the room without stepping on someone’s stuff, I’m tired and not feeling that great about being here and I just wanted to rest my head on a pillow. Waking up I had to wait to escape as the girl in the bathroom spent longer doing her makeup than to shower. What kept me going was knowing that I’d be seeing Josh Groban in less than 12 hours.

For the second time in the three months I’d been here I bothered to style my hair and put on slightly nicer clothes. Waiting outside the concert was really bizarre for me as I’d never been to one alone before. I hadn’t felt this excited about anything for quite a while! When I showed the lady my ticket and she took me to my seat my heart leapt with joy as we kept walking from the back further and further to the front weeee. As I took my seat I couldn’t believe how close I was and couldn’t help but chuckle to myself in disbelief. A lovely gay couple came and took their seats beside me and inevitably asked if I was alone. So many people seem shocked by the fact but it has become quite normal for me. It was great though because the guy next to me was almost as excited and shocked as I was at what we were about to witness and I at least had someone to share it with.
The concert was absolutely amazing. His voice is incredible. I almost cried during one song. The band were also really impressive and they all looked like they had so much fun together. I didn’t want it to end. As I was leaving I just wanted to cry and didn’t know why, it was the most bizarre feeling because it was one of the best things I’ve ever done yet I was uncontrollably sad and it lasted for a couple of days. I noticed a big group of people standing around the side door and I felt it was silly to join them so left but regret it as I know they got to meet the main man. Maybe next time! I couldn’t face going back to the hell hole I was staying in after such a fantastic experience I ended up hanging out with a friend at a place I stayed at previously and probably should have gone back to but I didn’t want to risk a reinfestation of bed bugs! It took me weeks to get rid of the bite marks all up my legs. Overall it was probably the best night I’ve had on this trip so far, possibly in my life.

One thing I have discovered along the great learning curve that is this adventure is that I can now brush off the bad times much easier as I know the good times are on their way. This is possibly a long waffle-y uninteresting post to most but I know some of my friends find my musings amusing and I miss you guys!!! Xxxxxx


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: